[INTERVIEW] Interview with NORRIS YIM

May 6, 2021

By Kuni Shim

Someone XII, 2021, Acrylic & Oil on Canvas, 75x60cm 

Hi, Norris Yim. Could you introduce yourself to Art Terms Magazine readers? 

I am Norris Yim, a self-taught painter who loves creative design & painting. Art is something I was born fond of, and Ive loved drawing and making sculptures to play with ever since I was in kindergarten.  

How did you decide to be an artist at first? 

I just loved making art and I wanted to continue making art growing up only. Keep looking something inspiring myself more, art is the way to self-seeking. 

Nameless 2121 (Abyss of Darkness), Oil on Canvas, 90x70cm 

Could you tell us about the process of making your work? 

Making the portrait line, paint the details of the eye and ears, started to making the chaotic(Experiment of color) on the face. 

What does your work aim to say?  

Capitalism and hypocritical livingpeople burying their original appearances to survive; new faces replacing old ones; even using makeup becomes [a process of] self-forgetting. Its filled with hypocrisy and fear of life. 

Simply put, people around me look as if theyre without souls, squeezed dry by the city. This has spawned a series of abstract portraits that express my pity and sadness towards society. 

Someone I, 2021, Oil on Canvas, 60x60cm 

What made you draw abstract portraits, not ordinary ones?  

Thats based on my concept to create, i just want to create a portrait without soul, so i making the slashes to represent the face off. 

What is the most important detail or point you consider (when creating artworks)?  

Colour & Layerings first. Now is focus on the eye and ears. 

Someone XIII, 2021, Acrylic & Oil on Canvas, 70x60cm  

We can see various textures in your painting. What is the most difficult experiment you have ever done on texture?  

Fluid acrylic texture is the most difficult one, as the flow is focus on mind and body more than the painting skill. However, I want to keep looking different way to represent my idea, I would not limited myself to use the ony way to create, so you can see I still searching & using different texture or style. 

Each portrait has a variety of colors. Do the colors reflect the image of the actual person of the portrait? What does color mean in the portrait? 

Colour is the pain from the reality, which is quite abstract to understand, the colour actually is the way to recording the self emotion dairy. Its a darkness concpet behind, i want to use the bright colours for looking positive, it slef creating a contradiction feeling. 

Fulfill my ambition through colors to create more Inspirations. 

Someone X, 2021, Oil on Canvas, 70x60cm  

An eye is highlighted on your recent portraits. Could you tell us the meaning of your recent painting? 

An eye is representing the last hope, as the world is constantly being suppressed by monopoly, we lost the mouth to tell, we only absorbed the stress but no way to release. Hoping the world could arrive to the peace. 

Is there one particular artwork that youre most proud of or close to? Whys that? 

Nameless 13, the one with one time brush stroke to create, the less brushes stroke but most powerful to represent the beauty.  

Someone I, 2020, Acrylic & Oil on Canvas, 60x50cm 

If you can time travel, what era do you want to go and who do you want to meet? 

I dont know the era as I would like to meet the next life of mine if the reincarnation is actually existing.  

Who is your favorite artist and why? 

Van Gogh!!! He is the only one using the unique technique & personal feeling into his paintings without any commercial condition. Pure, Pain & Powerful are the feeling I have after looked the real one in museum. 

Someone XV, 2021, Acrylic & Oil on Canvas, 80x60cm 

How do you think social media affects the art field? 

It helps a lot Artist who are not supported by gallery which promotes the works to the world, now everyone is an artist and promoting themselves by social media. And we can see much more creativities or skills from social media. 

I heard you enjoy reading poetry to seek your spiral satisfaction. Then what does art mean to you?  

Painting is purely a means of selfpresentation, a process of transforming my observation of others and internalizing it as creative inspiration. Seeking my own spiritual satisfaction with poetry. The self-expression is often tinged with loneliness. 

Someone XXI, 2021, Acrylic & Oil on Canvas, 75x60cm 

What kind of artist do you want to be remembered as? 

Yayoi Kusama, only focus on the creation with the respectful from the world. 

Is there a new genre or expression technique you want to try? 

Sculpture is the next one to learn. 

Someone VIII, 2021, Oil on Stretched Canvas, 70x60cm 

Is there an artistic goal that you would ultimately reach through your work? 

Fame forever! Make a Scar to the world.  

Thank you so much for taking the time for the interview. Would you like to say something to the readers of Art Terms Magazine? 

Stay Positive & Healthy! Free our Mask one day! 

Prev [FAIRS] The 13th Gwangju Biennale 《Minds Rising, Spirits Tuning》
Next [CURATION] Designer Series | Superstars for High Impact
  List